General writing guides
- Writing a Research Paper (from Purdue University's Online Writing Laboratory, OWL)
- Annotated Bibliography
- Writing a Literature Review (from UCSC)
- Thesis Statements
- Citation guides including APA, MLA, and Chicago
Discipline-specific writing and reading guides
- Writing economics (from Harvard University)
- Writing about history (from the University of Toronto)
- Reading, writing and resarching about history: A guide for college students (from Bowdoin College)
- Literature (English)
- A brief guide to writing the English paper (from Harvard University)
- Sociology & social sciences, including criminal justice
- John Jay's Writing Center — workshops, appointments, and online tutoring.
- Purdue University OWL — a wealth of information about writing and citation, including handouts and examples.
- City College Writing Center Handouts — helpful online handouts (PDFs) for every stage of the writing process.
- Writer's Handbook — a comprehensive writing resource from the University of Wisconsin, Madison.
Books about academic writing
- Graff, G., Birkenstein, C., & Durst, R.K. (2014). "They say/I say": The Moves that Matter in Academic Writing (3rd ed.). New York: Norton. — Check it out: on Reserve PE1431 .G73 2014 or Stacks PE1431 .G73 2009 (1st ed.).
- Lester, J.D., and Lester, Jr., J.D. (2010). Writing Research Papers: A Complete Guide (13th ed.). New York: Longman. — Check it out from the Stacks LB2369 .L4 2010.
- Turabian, K.L. (2013). A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. — Request at the Reference Desk (call number LB2369 .T8 2013).
Updated Oct. 2017 by R. Davis