Jump to: How do I renew books?
Student and Staff Borrowing Policy
Students and staff with a current, validated John Jay ID card may borrow books for 3 weeks. The Library will affix a patron barcode to the back of the John Jay ID card. Up to 10 books may be borrowed at one time.
- Two 3-week renewals are permitted, providing there is no hold on the book by another patron. Books may be renewed online through the My Account functions of CUNY+.
- Overdue fines are 10 cents per calendar day, per book. The maximum fine is the replacement cost of the book (as listed in Books in Print). There is a 10 day grace period (i.e., no fines are charged for books up to 10 days overdue; on the 11th day the fine is $1.10). Borrowing privileges are suspended when books become overdue or when overdue fines for returned books exceed $5.00. A block is also placed with the Registrar until the account is cleared.
John Jay Faculty Borrowing Policy
Faculty with a current, validated John Jay ID card may borrow books for 6 weeks.
- Two six-week renewals are permitted, providing there is no hold on the book by another patron. Books may be recalled for another user after three weeks.
- Overdue fines are 10 cents per calendar day, per book, to a maximum fine of the cost of the book. There is a 10-day grace period (i.e., no fines are charged for books up to 10 days overdue; on the 11th day the fine is $1.10). Borrowing privileges are suspended when books become overdue or when overdue fines for returned books exceed $5.00.
Other CUNY Colleges
Students and faculty may borrow books from other CUNY libraries and have the book delivered to the specific library they select using CLICS.
John Jay students and faculty may also visit other CUNY libraries and personally borrow books from other CUNY libraries by using a validated John Jay ID card with the John Jay library barcode on the back of the card. More info about access to CUNY libraries »
CUNY-Wide Courtesy Book Return
Under a CUNY-wide courtesy book return agreement, books borrowed from one CUNY library may be returned to any other CUNY library. The books are then shipped to their home library via an intercampus delivery system.
CUNY+ Library Catalog John Jay College books can be renewed twice for a period of 3 weeks for students and 6 weeks for faculty, provided no one has placed a hold on the book. Books can be renewed if they are under 10 days overdue. If your patron record is blocked for overdue items or fines, book renewal options will not be available to you.
- Head to My Account/Review in CUNY+ (opens in new window)
- You will be prompted for your library bar code number (for John Jay users this will start with 21699....) and a password. Your initial password is set to your library bar code number.
- Click on the Loans link for a list of the items you have out.
- To select an item for renewal, click on its line number at left side of title.
- Click the Renew link. Screen will return to your list of loans. (Note: if the Renew link does not appear, it may be that you are blocked for fines or overdues)
- Note the new due date of the renewed item!
- Be sure to end your session when you are done to protect your personal information. Click End Session on the uppermost blue task bar, then click the Go button.
Users can review any fines or lost book fees that are due by clicking on the Cash Transactions link. Holds you may have placed on books charged to another user can also be displayed.
If you have any questions or problems, please stop by the Library Circulation Desk, call (212) 237-8246 during Library hours, or email email@example.com.
Lost books will be charged the replacement cost of the book as listed in Books in Print plus a $10 processing fee.