CUNY Libraries Inter-Campus Services
Need a book that is not available in John Jay's Library, but that is held at another CUNY library? Use CLICS, the book delivery service of the CUNY Libraries.
How it works
Watch a video tutorial (from CCNY) or follow these steps:
1. Search for the item in OneSearch. If it's not owned by or checked out from John Jay, select the "All CUNY" tab at the top of the page.
2. Select the title of the book you want, if it is listed. Then sign in, if you haven't already:
3. Enter your CUNYfirst credentials to log in.
4. Now you can see request options. If the book is requestable (not all are), you will see a Hold link:
5. Click Hold, then select a pickup location from the dropdown list of CUNY libraries. You can select any campus that is convenient for you. Complete the request by clicking the blue Send Request button.
Then you should see a green Action Succeeded message. You did it!
Be sure to log out of OneSearch if you're on a public computer.
You will receive an email when the book is available for check out at the Circulation Desk.
Check the status of your requests by logging into your OneSearch account.
How long will it take to get my book?
- Most books arrive within 3–5 days (depending on the day of the week and time of day you make your request). You will be notified by email. Notices automatically go to your John Jay email by default. To change which email we use, ask at the Circulation Desk.
- Every CUNY library receives daily inter-campus weekday pick-up and delivery service. (Books requested from the Hunter Health Professions and the School of Social work libraries will require additional delivery time since they are first sent to the main Hunter Library.)
Who can use CLICS?
- CUNY undergraduate students, graduate students, faculty members, and staff members with an active, unblocked library account at one of the CUNY Libraries can use the service.
Which books can be requested?
- Regularly circulating (stacks) books may be requested whether they are on the shelf at another CUNY library or already checked out to another patron from your home library.
- You cannot request that a book be pulled from the stacks at John Jay Library and be delivered to the Circulation Desk. CLICS only works for books going from one CUNY campus to another. You cannot request books to be delivered to the same library they're coming from.
How long can I have the book?
- See CUNY Circulation Policies for loan periods. You will also be informed of the due date upon book pickup.
- You will receive a courtesy notice by email 3 days prior to an item's due date.
Can I renew books I've checked out via CLICS?
- You can renew items online in OneSearch as long as they are not already overdue and as long as no one has requested the item.
- Circulation and overdue fine policies of the lending library apply. Consult the CUNY Libraries Circulation Policies for current loan and fine policy information.
What if something I requested using CLICS is missing?
- You will be notified if your request cannot be filled. You can try to request it again.
What if none of the copies listed in OneSearch are available?
- If copies of an item are out on loan, you can put a hold on one of the borrowed copies. You will be notified when it becomes available. If all the listed copies are missing or are unavailable for other reasons, you can request it through Interlibrary Loan. Check with your library's Interlibrary Loan policies and procedures.
Can I use CLICS from home?
- Yes. You can search and request from OneSearch using any browser from any location. OneSearch recognizes your home campus by your library barcode.
I have more questions. Where can I get additional information?
- Call the John Jay Library Circulation Desk at (212) 237-8226.